Wednesday

Awesome Autumn Golf At Pound Ridge Golf Course

At Pound Ridge Golf Course, Pound Ridge, NY                           @GolfGirlMedia 2008

This past weekend I did more than just mull around at the gates of Morefar.

I actually had a much more... satisfying... experience on Sunday at the gorgeous new Pound Ridge Golf Course.

It was just a familiarization visit... I toured the grounds, met the staff and had a Bloody Mary on the terrace... but now that I've seen the stunning layout, I'm thrilled at the prospect of playing the course, and hoping to be able to make it happen in the very near future.

Pound Ridge Golf Course is located about an hour north of Manhattan (and only 15 minutes from my house). The dramatic layout meanders through forests that open onto rolling meadows. Changing elevations, outcropping rock formations, wetlands and water hazards are all incorporated artfully... and with the onset of Autumn the course will soon be dappled with the beautiful burnished foliage this area is known for. Such is the genius of Pete Dye.

Yes, it's expensive. The greens fees are $235, including cart and use of the practice facilities. I've got to admit, before I saw it I was sceptical. Now, not not at all. Pound Ridge golf course is world class and well worth a premium.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this challenging course treats a high handicap golfer... such as... well... myself. Happily, from what I could see, the multiple tee locations should provide an enjoyable experience for all abilities levels. Yes, even mine.

12 comments:

  1. VERY nice ! Is there a story behind the name ? A real Pound Ridge in history that they're using ?

    How much snow will be on the ground when you tee it up in October ? (ducking) :-)

    Once the golf girl - always the golf girl -- checking out her shoes while modelling on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $235! That's well beyond my budget, but it sure looks amazing. Glad I don't live up there or I might be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother and sis-in-law played Pebble Beach and paid $475....each. They said it was worth it though.

    He could've taken little sis along...the big meanie! :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Court, you're totally right...my shoes! The awesome new four dots shoe. I love them...will write about them soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. See what you're missing by not coming for The Tour Championship ? You were already dressed for it ! :-)

    http://www.star94.com/promotions/detail.cfm;jsessionid=8c302dec6ad762605e1a7744712610435226TR?id=326

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a beautiful course. My husband and his posse played Sawgrass another Pete Dye. I think they paid $350 or so. And I know what you're saying Jen, about meanies. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So close to NYC I can't imagine they won't be feeling the Wall Street layoffs big time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a seriously picturesque golf course, you didn't take that bottom picture yourself did you? You'd have had to have climbed a tree.. Still if what Jennifer said is trut, you would rather play one round at Pebble Beach than two rounds at Pound Ridge, right? I'll make do with nice budget courses and play the big good looking ones on the Xbox.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey gg. how many pairs of golf shoes do u have? imelda?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Patricia darling.

    You look so at home on the beautiful stone wall of that exclusive club.

    It is so much more you than Richter Park.

    As nice as Richter is, it is still a muni. They must let anyone play.

    It's not like a Long Island or New Jersey muni, but is still is a public course. Cargo people are welcome.

    Pound Ridge is so more you. It is a place where you can associate with all the right people. the smart set. The elite and their noble issue.

    Now when you say come join me at my club you won't have to be embarrassed.

    Nick will come around. You watch. If he wants to be a part of your world he had better.

    Pound ridge is not Old Greenwich but for now it is ok. It can work for you now.

    Good luck. It will be their privilege to have you.

    You know you must bring Nick along, so please clean him up. And, oh yes, due consider changing butchers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like someone's jealous of Nick. LOL.

    The course looks beautiful, and it must be challenging. After all Pete Dye is known for designing "world's most terrifying tee shot".

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should have befriended a brewster firefighter- they are allowed to play morefar once a year for an annual benefit. My father and husband are there today, and believe me they are certainly no high powered exec's, atleast not in reality. From what I have heard it is absolutely as beautiful as it is mysterious. What a shame two men who barely even golf are there for the whole day, for gold and for lunch and a benefit dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...