Tuesday

The Golf Girl Gets a Grip... with the Thumb Caddy

In golf, as in life, I'll try just about anything once. Curiosity + Optimism = Go For It!

That's the philosophy I tend to live by. As a result, I've tried more golf training aids then you can swing a seven iron at... but few of them have ever been written about here. That's because, as much fun as I've had trying them out, I've rarely found one that's really been effective. And I just don't write about things that fall short.

Not long ago however, I tried an unassuming little training aid...that actually worked! It's the Thumb Caddy, and it's so small and simple, that at first I doubted it could do much for me.

It addresses that most fundamental element of your golf swing...your grip. The Thumb Caddy is a little rubberized clip that's easily attached to your club and slides right up to where you grip it. Once it's secured, you rest your thumb in the cushioned groove, assume your grip, and... you're going to have a more consistent swing.

If you're like me (and 90% of the golfers I talk to) consistency is one of the things that most often eludes you, and the resulting worm burners and whiffs, even if they're only occasional, can do a number on your confidence. Thumb Caddy made me more confident. By a lot.

Now if you happen to be very consistent; if you almost always hit long and straight with rarely a hook or slice... you may not want to bother with Thumb Caddy. Otherwise, give it a try. I'm pretty sure you'll find it the most helpful thing you've done for your swing in a while.

Thumb Caddy is available online and at a growing number of golf retail outlets.

9 comments:

  1. Nice to know. I just finished up all of my official golf lessons and I'm ready to play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's amazingly effective and very inexpensive.

    Hey why don't you stop in NYC on your way back from Europa...we can play a round. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so need something like that. I tend to hold the club too tightly ... I can't help it. They says this helps so it's worth a try. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious too. And optimistic that it can help me with those hooks and slices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why when I press for 3 pack, I get link to one pack? I must ask them, do they ship internationally..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the midst of completely revamping my grip. Maybe if I had tried this first I wouldn't have been put through my recent re-gripping torture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this at the merchandise show last January - seemed like a pretty solid product. The only thing it doesn't do is remind you to grip in your fingers, not the palms - but it does exactly what it says it will do - give you a good marker for your grip.

    Another good one is the Easy Grip on Eyelinegolf.com. This one has two markers - one for each thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A thumb caddy is a pretty good start. But I think I need a hand caddy, elbow caddy, shoulder caddy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Golf Girl!!

    Nice find on the Thumb caddy! I don't think we've done the robotic testing on it to see how it might impact distance and accuracy... Probably b/c our robots don't have thumbs!

    Seriously, beyond these helpful innovations, have you tried a Hot Stix Golf fitting to improve your game? Have any of your readers tried Hot Stix Golf?

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...