Thursday

Karen Palacios-Jansen : LPGA Teacher Of The Year

I first got to know Karen Palacios-Jansen almost two years ago, in the early days of this blog.

From the get-go I could see that this golf girl was exceptional. Her enthusiasm for the sport was inspiring, and she had this fun, warm, open personality.

I was new to the game, and still not quite sure what I had gotten myself into. After all, there's no denying golf can be excruciatingly difficult somewhat frustrating and rather intimidating.

So when I discovered Karen, while researching a golf fitness program, it seemed serendipitous. Karen was just what I needed to convince me that there was in fact, something for me in this idiosyncratic game.

Karen has an amazing amount going on. She's a managing editor at Golf Fitness Magazine and Golffitnessmagazine.com. She's also been known to blog...in several places. She's been a golf instructor for over seventeen years, has appeared on The Golf Channel and has a weekly golf internet radio show that follows the LPGA tour.

In addition to all that, she's a public speaker and lecturer, and has a business, with her husband...who happens to be Olympic Gold Medalist speed skater Dan Jansen. Their Swing Blade Enterprises, produces videos, like Cardio Golf. Cardio Golf is the golf fitness program Karen introduced me to way back when....and it's awesome.

I use Karen's training tips on the golf course...and I'm a dedicated practitioner of Cardio Golf, which keeps me feeling flexible and strong. Even though I've never met her person, I feel like Karen Palacios-Jansen has already done a lot for my game...so when I read that she had been selected the 2008 LPGA National Teacher of the Year... it came as no surprise whatsoever.

Congratulations Karen!

14 comments:

  1. Not to pick on the LPGA - the PGA does the same thing with the male teacher of the year - but come on. How many times are you going to just pick a pro who has a new toy on a Golf Channel infomercial or appears on broadcasts ? That's just lazy.

    Get out there and find a pro who is actually making a difference in her club or area. First Tee has some excellent teachers who are putting girls in scholarships around the country and keeping kids off the streets.

    Picking KP-J is nothing more than publicity for someone already in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I beg to differ with you on that one Court. Not to say there aren't some great teachers... with First Tee and I agree it's a great organization and should be talked about...but I've been lucky enough to work with Karen and believe me, her empathy and ability to instill confidence, while succinctly explaining technique, is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Court - If someone's "in the media" as you say, it's often because they present and communicate unusually well, which is a big part of teaching effectively. Which Karen undoubtedly does.

    From what I can see, Karen works tremendously hard and is very dedicated to golf. She's a great choice for Teacher of the Year, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No argument that she is a very good teacher - that wasn't what I was saying.

    She has won this award before - are they saying that nobody else in the US deserves the recognition ?

    Who has she taught this year that has improved so much that she should get this award...again ?

    How are they defining "best" ?

    Marco - being in an infomercial means that you can read a teleprompter - not that you can communicate well.

    Watch any sporting event and you'll find people calling the action who can barely speak English, much less do a good job as an announcer - but they are former players or famous for one reason or another, so they get the job.

    It's just lazy to pick someone because they are well known. There are hundreds of better teachers than David Leadbetter - but he gets awards because he has toys on infomercials and gets his face on TV a lot.

    The "invention of the year" at the PGA Merchandise Show this past January was a level disk used to figure out the break of a green - it wasn't original, and it isn't even the best one on the market. You can't use it during play, and if you use it during a practice round, you slow down play behind you. BUT - it has Butch Harmon's face on it, so it won.

    Laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Court...can I ask you a personal question? Are you a Republican? Because you seem very angry right now? You seem to have an ax to grind with the Golf Channel too. ;-I

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon 10:57 - are you an idiot ? Anger and common sense are not the same thing. Asking a question is not the same as anger. Pointing out how things work is not anger.

    And if you want anger - you're looking at the wrong party.

    And no - I am not a republican - I am more of a libertarian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met Karen and her husband a couple of years ago at a charity tournament. They were charming and accessible, very down to earth. Karen's clinic was excellent too. She's understated and easy to learn from, definitely an excellent teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo Karen!

    I applaud KP-J for emphasising fitness which is often overlooked. I think that's a great thing, when you consider that golfers are all too often overweight and out of shape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtgolf, some days it’s just not worth getting up in the morning. I understand your theory and give you credit for disagreeing with a whole panel of intelligent ladies. Unfortunately, like in poker, sometimes you have to know when to fold to cut your losses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL - Bill - you are so right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. court

    actually, you're mixing anger with stupidity. your comments, as usual are stupid and ill formed, and when you are criticized by gg bloggers you answer with angry insults. then to make matters worse you continue to argue your idiotic points. i really wish you would just shut up. please make your stupid points 1x and spare us your lame ass follow up justifications.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog, I really like your opinions! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got 10-1 that says "anonymous" lives in his Mom's basement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Making last chaos gold is the old question : Honestly there is no fast way to make lots of lastchaos gold. Sadly enough a lot of the people that all of a sudden come to with millions of lastchaos moneyalmost overnight probably duped . Although there are a lot of ways to make lots of buy last chaos goldhere I will tell you all of the ways that I know and what I do to make cheap lastchaos gold.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...