Monday

Paula Creamer Adopted by Future Golfers














Awesome, outside-of-the-box ideas are what golf will be needing in 2009.

Already, the economy has taken a toll on recreational golf, and the myriad businesses that depend on it. Rounds are down, that we know. The National Golf Foundation expects less than 85 courses to open in 2008, the lowest in 20 years. It also expects around 100 golf courses to close. Furthermore, at this point, most economists agree there's little chance for a soft landing or a quick recovery.

Bringing young fans and players to the game is more urgent than ever, and it's something many of us talk about. But then we realize what we're up against. The game is expensive and time consuming, and often associated with out-of-shape senior citizens or exclusionary, elitist millionaires.

Let's face it, golf is not an easy sell, especially when you're trying to reach a young audience who've never been exposed to the joys of the game.

Enter Paula Creamer... and 24 other LPGA Tour pros, and a program called Adopt-a-Player.

It's simply one of the best ideas I've ever heard of for exposing uninitiated youngsters to the game. Adopt-A-Player revolves around the 2009 U.S. Women's Open, It targets 3rd and 4th grade school children in Eastern Pennsylvania (were the Open will take place). The kids build a kind of electronic "pen-pal" relationship with a player who'll compete in the tournament. Paula's participation is featured in this story and it's pretty obvious that both she and the kids who've adopted her are already getting a lot out of it.

I'll be updating this article later today, and I'll be covering the program often as we head into 2009, because I really feel that the idea is stellar.

In the meantime read more about it here. Let me know if you think it's as awesome as I do.

10 comments:

  1. "often associated with out-of-shape Senior Citizens."

    Kill the stereotype! I've seen quite a few out-of-shape 30-somethings and 40-somethings riding around in those golf carts. They wouldn't make 9 holes walking with an older guy like me in the Texas summer heat.

    I like the Adopt-a-Player program. Golf is, for the most part, a very clean sport. I'd prefer to see our kids idolizing golfers rather than some of the other professional athletes who get headlines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea. Thanks for letting me know through Twitter. @natalie_gulbis commented on Twitter about starting a boys and girls club. Golf is probably the main feature.

    I taught phys ed Grades 1-9. A Junior High teacher liked to 'rough-house' with boys in sports. I focused on the girls teams. Wow! They were so coachable in the school sports.

    Keep posting more info as you learn more.

    Glen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea !! I just put in my application to adopt Maria Verchenova !! Or maybe Veronica Zorzi. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. This is a truly great idea. I read the articles and I saw exactly what you saw; That this is a way to get a group of kids who wouldn't have any contact with golf otherwise, to connect with it. I think it would be great if PGA and other tours could do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula Creamer......

    "Then I saw her face-
    Now I'm a believer".........

    sums it up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They way the blend the teaching of math, literature and history with golf is great, and these kids will bring their new found awareness of golf home to their families and friends. I hope they can do it with other tournaments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm betting Paula's school will wear pink. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea to keep golf in people's minds and introduce it to a new generation, but it doesn't stop one of the main barriers to golf which is the cost.

    I hope that there will be inroads made in that area in the next few years so that more people will be able to afford to play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making last chaos gold is the old question : Honestly there is no fast way to make lots of lastchaos gold. Sadly enough a lot of the people that all of a sudden come to with millions of lastchaos moneyalmost overnight probably duped . Although there are a lot of ways to make lots of buy last chaos goldhere I will tell you all of the ways that I know and what I do to make cheap lastchaos gold.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...