Wednesday

The Golf Girl's Missing Links - A Blog Roll Vanishes

It was a busy day here at Golf Girl Media and unfortunately, we had a rather substantial mishap in the technology department.














It started when my husband intern gallantly volunteered to help with a long delayed project: updating and refining the Golf Girl's Diary blogroll. For over a year now I've wanted to make it more user-friendly by removing the no longer active blogs, and categorizing the remaining blogs, thus making it easier for readers to find what want.

It promised to be time consuming and tedious task as the list was over 100 blogs long thus it was continually put off. That is until Mr. GolfGirl my intern offered to tackle the project. And he labored through it, removing the lapsed blogs and organizing the remainder into several succinct categories. But then something went terribly wrong.

As you probably surmised, at the end of the process an incorrect button was clicked and the entire list disappeared. Needless to say, my husband intern was summarily fired.

But now I have to put the list back together again. I'm going start trying to piece it back as best I can by memory. I'll add blogs as I go along, then in the next couple of days, I'm hoping to put up a submission form that you can use to easily send me your blog's name and link. In the meantime if you'd like to send it to me in an email that would be fine too. thegolfgirl@gmail.com

The girl's golf blogs and the foreign language golf blogs were not affected. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by Nick my former intern.

15 comments:

  1. GG,

    Take from my and other bloggers blogrolls what we had in common.

    I can't believe some computer jock can't recover what you lost. I was under the impression that nothing was ever truly deleted. Then again, you could put my computer knowledge in a thimble.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick must have been mortified when he realized what had happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia, I think you may have some less work than you thought, because the Wayback Machine aka the Internet Archive has one copy of your site with existing blogroll:

    http://web.archive.org/web/20070708034837/http://thegolfgirl.blogspot.com/

    Go get your intern to fix it with the data from there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Patricia, hope all goes well...eek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good help is hard to find. I've come close to firing my photographer, videographer and production assistants. But I would still have to live with them. ;o) Good luck, sounds like you have some good ideas from other readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://oasisdigitalco.com/GolfGirl'sDiary.html

    here.. this is from the way back machine, but I did some dirty work for you and made it easier for you. all the pretty code is there.. you can copy paste and at least get back to something.


    I will have to look.. I think there is a blogger back tool so you can back your site up every month so this cant happen, but I will look into that for you.

    hope this helps..

    dennis

    ReplyDelete
  7. here.. i just found a Friday, February 13, 2009 cached file.. what a lucky day for you.. lol

    http://oasisdigitalco.com/GolfGirl'sDiaryfeb09.html

    i have also made this one simple for you, all your links can be copied and pasted easily.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Patricia, it looks like you have a lot of help on this one. Go easy on the Intern, he sounds like a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I was under the impression that nothing was ever truly deleted."

    Depends on your backups.

    You DO have backups, right Patricia?

    I back my site up to an external site once a month, and its underlying database nightly. I could re-assemble it on another server in less than four hours, and 3.75 of those hours would be spent transmitting data.

    Bottom line here is to make sure you ALWAYS have a backup plan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for the suggestions! With that help I'll have my links back up by the end of the weekend ... organized in a more helpful way too. My intern is back on board, but under strict supervision this time ;o)

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feel free to add www.the20thhole.blogspot.com. I've added yours. Good luck with the recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. if i were nick i'd take a long trip to somewhere sunny and go golfing w/o gg and her 50+ handicap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can find missing stuff by using the "way back machine" if you need to. I used it to get some data back when I got hacked back in the day...

    I look forward to the day when GGM moves from blogger to its own URL! Then you can really make it special...and have a higher probability of screwing things up!

    I do think it is a good thing to go through your blogroll and get rid of all the old stuff. No sense in clouding google's search results with a bunch of blogs which shut down months or years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, I'm pretty certain my blog was on there, certain of it...

    Okay, that's a lie, but it would be great if it was! I'm back connected to the internet at home once more and ready to blog again after quit a hiatus - it took me three months to get a phoneline installed at my new flat, I almost went crazy!

    Still lookin good Patricia, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...