Thursday

The New York City Golf Date Made Simple

Golf can be hard to find in New York City.

It tends to lurk in the outer boroughs on quaint, quirky, courses that hide in plain site. Access from Manhattan inevitably requires a mass transit trek or an automobile.

Dating in New York, from what I hear, can also be fraught with difficulties and disappointments.

However, if you find yourself on the island of Manhattan tomorrow night and you happen to like golf... and you're in the mood for some form of social interaction... there is a solution: it's called Date Night at the Golf Club.

It may sound staid and suburban, but it's not.

The venue is awesome, a multi-tiered marvel on the Hudson. The stalls face the river, so you're actually launching your drives at New Jersey (some would take pleasure in that fact alone).

There's always an animated, high-energy crowd at Chelsea Piers golf events. And anyone/everyone is welcome, regardless of skill level or relationship status. You'll also find an open wine and beer bar plus snacks, and for those who seriously want to work on their swing, teaching pros will be on hand to offer free instruction. Then there's open hitting on the range, so you can get lots of practice in... if you're not too busy socializing. The whole package is just $30.00 too.

So, if you find yourself in or near Manhattan tomorrow night, why not head for the Hudson, and Chelsea Piers' Date Night at the Golf Club.

6 comments:

  1. LOL, that's great. I was actually just at Chelsea Piers today. And I was going to write about it...and I will, but I probably won't be at the event tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun, and while I love down in the sunny south, I've visited Chelsea Piers a couple of times when visiting family in the city. It was just like some of the driving ranges in Japan that I practiced on when I lived there -- and I believe that Chelsea Piers uses the same technology as the ones overseas.

    Anyway, it is surreal.

    Me, I live across the street from our driving range, have a key for the ball dispenser and still don't make it over there except to warm up and maybe hit a bucket or two a week. Must be the siren call of that place behind the house -- the course itself. I've always enjoyed playing a lot more than practicing and that probably explains a lot of why my handicap is regretfully still in the double-digits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A swingers club in Manhattan?

    There's a bunch of them, open every night. Just be careful.

    And there are better ways to meet your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound quite...swinging. I definitely want to get to Chelsea Piers sometime this summer, hopefully for Date Night.

    I'm a Jersey girl BTW so go easy with the golf balls. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be very curious to observe such an event. Would they really be able to get people to socialize? I'm trying to wrap my mind around it but I guess the fact that it takes place in NYC makes it what it is. You can't fault them for trying though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell ya what, ashgolf, I'll leave them in the sleeve. That should cushion the blow.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...