Sunday

Global Golf - An Exciting French Open Finish

Almost exactly two years ago, I attended my first ever professional golf tournament.

It was the 2007 Open de France, and at the time I was relatively new to golf, having first picked up a club just over a year prior.

Golf Girl's Diary was less than a year into publication as well, and when I look back at my early posts now, they reveal a naivete ... about the game, the players and the culture of golf writing... that in retrospect seems a bit lame somewhat unprofessional rather refreshing.

That particular summer was one of the rainiest on record in Paris and we were lucky to get a day at Le Golf National that, if not sunny and bright, was for the most dry. The tournament was won by Graeme "Stormy" Storm, an affable Englishman who hasn't quite replicated his 2007 success.


This year's Open de France, which ended today, was played in decidedly more summery conditions. The on-course action was sizzling as well, finishing on the first hole of a sudden death playoff between Martin Kaymer of Germany and Lee Westwood of England.

Twitter golf fans will be happy to know that awesome @IanJamesPoulter played a stellar round, coming within two strokes of the lead towards the end, and looking incredible in a gauzy mint green golf shirt (I had to add that last bit, I'm still me, after all).

Ultimately, a wayward photographer snapped a series of shots right in the middle of Mr. Poulter's back swing... and the ensuing two bogeys on the last four holes... left Ian in third place and vowing to bypass the tournament in the future. That said, from the looks of his game, there can be little doubt that this Twittervangelist is in a great position for the upcoming British Open where he hopes to turn last year's runner-up spot at Royal Birkdale into a win at Turnberry.

State-side, golf fans saw Tiger Woods take his own AT&T National tournament despite a course-record-tying 62 in the final round by Hunter Mahan.

Meanwhile the LPGA's Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic provided fans with some playoff action and was won, in the end, by Eunjung Yi, who hit a 10-foot birdie putt on the first playoff hole to defeat another of golf's more prolific Twitterers, Morgan Pressel.

Now, with the US Women's Open about to begin and the British Open Championship following that, the next couple of weeks promise to be nothing less than... Golfalicious.

And if that's not a word, we need to make it one.

11 comments:

  1. "Ian Poulter played a stellar round, coming within two strokes of the lead toward the end and looking incredible in a gauzy mint-green golf shirt..."

    Apparel-wise, Poulter would still be a rebel without a gauze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was reading you back in the early days & liked it, so I must have been naive as well...

    I did watch some of Tiger's tournament but missed the French Open. I was playing in the Firecracker tournament here at home & had a blast!

    I was surprised Tiger didn't come out more on top, but still happy for him that he won.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golfalicious is now officially a word (if only in the golf blogosphere...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also rooting for Ian Poulter, but hey how about Kenny Perry? man, that would shut up everyone after the criticism he got last year..

    At the end I wish them all luck because I still want Tiger to win.

    Happy Anniversary on your first golf tournament and what a place to have it--France!! Oh la la!

    Mine is at Medina and I can still remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, and I have to agree, golfilicious!!! I can't wait to tweet while this is happening!!!thanks for all the update, Patricia, I enjoy it so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad Bob Tway stopped playing the PGA Tour last year. He sounds like he'd be a good Twitterer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eunjung Yi should team up with Y.E. Yang for the mixed men's & women's tourneys.

    It would be tough to beat the Yi and Yang of golf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, golfing for 3 years eh! V impressiv addiction! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. maybe beaverboosh should pour snooty primadona a strong one and let her spread her loomis loominatoba-like snufopolis all over his smikel

    golfalicious indeed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you at the French Open - only a couple of hundred miles from me! I watched it on TV in the UK, followed by the coverage of the AT&T event at Congressional. Hunter Mahan was awesome in the final round at Congressional and Tiger just did what he needed to do.
    I'm a big Tiger and Poulter fan and look forward to seeing them both on TV at Turnberry where I hope they both do well.
    My first major golfing experience was at Birkdale last year. Unfortunately Tiger wasn't there, but it was amazing.
    Yours Charlie G Wallace
    www.start2playgolf.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe Anonymous should pore over the lyrics to the song "If I Only Had a Brain."

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...