Tuesday

The Sharpie Marker - A Versatile Golf Accessory

I've always loved markers.
While other art students toiled with a water color wash, or methodically assembled a mixed media collage, I'd grab a fist full of felt tips and take my inspiration from the pure, Disneyesque colors. Oh I tried other mediums, but always came back to the redolent pens that seemed to simplify...and amplify... the creative process.

That however was back in elementary school where I temporarily abandoned my artistic aspirations. By the time I was inspired to create art again, computers had become ubiquitous, and I suddenly had access to many millions of colors that could be transformed, texturized or erased with little more than a mouse click.









When I started playing golf however, I rediscovered the joy of marker art, using Sharpies to decorate mark my balls. I collected the full arsenal of colors and found that ball marking could actually be a creative outlet. OK, one time I went overboard and turned my ball into such an overwhelming orgy of color that it hurt my eyes to look at it. Needless to say, that resulted in some less than stellar shots. But I learned from the experience and now observe a self-imposed three color maximum rule.

In addition to decorating and distinguishing my balls, I use Sharpies with my Line-M-Up which gives me some much needed guidance on the green. And when I go to ProAms and tournaments, they're great for autographs; on balls, caps (Padraig Harrington used one to sign the cap I'm wearing above), gloves, programs... even on skin.

Sharpie is social too. Very social. In addition to their excellent corporate website, they have Sharpie Uncapped, a site full of ideas and contests and colorful...whatnots. Then there's the highly engaging Sharpie Blog, a Facebook page, a YouTube channel and a Flickr group. I know. It doesn't get much more social than that. Sharpie simply excels a social media... in large part because of their astute, on-staff social media evangelist, Susan Wassel, aka. @sharpiesusan. Yes, of course they're on Twitter.

Well, I'm playing a twilight round a bit later... I've got to go decorate mark my ball.

7 comments:

  1. Sharpie till you drop-ie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are sure creative with their Sharpies. I love some of the furniture designs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's getting more common to see the established brands taking their voices onto the social media scene, now that it can't be overlooked or passed over as a fad. However most of them don't fully (or even partially)understand it and don't do it well.

    Sharpie is one of the rare companies who appears to excel at it. They have a great product that lends itself perfectly to the medium but they also have a person who @sharpiesusan who fully understands how to integrate it with more traditional forms of communication. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever done a gallery of your ball markings? I'm not as funky with mine as I used to be, but I've seen some really cool stuff done, both by pros and fellow duffers alike.

    It really is cool to see when a company does get it. Sharpie pretty much owns it all - not often does a company reach as far as they have

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Sharpie's pens but their dogs are way too wrinkly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We asked the pros,How do you mark your Titleist?

    -With a pink and yellow flower with a long stem, over the T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Blog
    Informative One
    Thanks for great stuff for girls
    Nimesh

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...