Saturday

Sex and The City, Golf Guys & Little White Balls















Remember how awesome "Sex and the City" was back when?

I'm talking about the early years, when it was an HBO series and actually somewhat ground breaking.

The time and place were special. It was turn-of-the-century America, circa Y2K, and though women had obviously been having smart, candid conversations about sex since... well, since sex was invented (ie. forever)... those conversations had never been the basis for a television series. ~ So it was quite shocking...but so well written that once the shock wore off, it resonated with almost everyone.

Collectively, the world seemed to realize that, like it or not, women probably do talk... or at least think... that way.

Then there were the clothes... the labels, the luxury. New York in the late nineties was the best of all possible worlds for the young and hedonistic. It was there... at the overinflated apex of the dot.com bubble... that Sex and the City was born, popularizing designer shoes, syrupy pink cocktails, vibrators and the objectification of men. ~ And, at the time it all seemed pretty awesome.

The tag line was "Are you ready for more?" and I think that's where things went wrong. ~ Because before long the Manolos were replicated in plastic and available at WalMart, supersized Cosmos were a menu item at Applebys and frumpy female tourists from around the world were being draped in pink feather boas and ferried around Manhattan in SATC tour buses.

Meanwhile envelopes were pushed ever more aggressively and we entered the era of epic-overshare and full blown TMI. Late night infomercials began to tout vibrating massagers and online booty calls... complete with compelling testimonials. (my current favorite is the one where a girl describes the Trojan Vibrating Touch as being "like a little hummingbird... just loving you.")

OK. um... I think we got our more, and I think it showed us the truth behind that old adage, "more is not always better." ~ But apparently that doesn't matter, because the second SATC feature film is set to come out at the end of the month.

The photo at the top of the page is part of a series of 42 new stills that offer a sneak peek of the film. The creative minds at Hollywood Crush captioned it with a made-up factoid: In this scene, the husbands of "Sex and the City" react to a golf-related joke about "tiny white balls". ~ So the thing is, now I'm dying to know the actual context of that scene, but don't know if I can stand sitting through the rest of the movie.

The creators traded the NYC setting for Abu Dhabi... probably because it was the only place still symbolic of luxury and unbridled excess back a couple of years ago when they wrote it... but even the once resilient desert kingdoms have lost much of their economic luster. And I'm pretty sure golf won't be portrayed in a favorable light either. In fact, I can hear that lilting Carrie voice-over now, "So I wondered: How do you go to bed one night with the elegant, urbane man of your dreams... and wake up the next day with a dumpy, suburban duffer in dockers and an oversize polo shirt."

Nope, that's it. No more sex for me.

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's still going on, and I agree that in the beginning the dialog was better, but it's been over ten years and those girls look as good as they did when it began.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be so easily fooled Jen, a lot of that is thanks to photoshop and good lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife is a a diehard fan and has a collection of SATC quotes, I was looking through it when I heard about yet another movie. The most telling was this one from Carrie: "So what are we going to do? Sit around bars, sipping Cosmos and sleeping with strangers when we're eighty?" I think the answer is pretty clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guilty pleasure... that's how I look at it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! But I still laugh at some ball jokes with my gal pals on the course—although we aren't in a movie-YET! ;o)

    It looks like Aidan makes an appearance in the movie. That was the point with SATC that I started to lose interest-when she turned on Aidan.

    I'd much rather watch him (and Toni Collette) in the "The United States Tara."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking I'd take Aidan or Big, or maybe both. ;) I wonder if this will be as racy as the last movie, not that racy is necessarily bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I was happy to see the show end and I won't be patronizing the movies. It always struck me as a fairy tale they sort of wanted you to believe in. And then lots of girls I know started saying they were "a Carrie", or "a Miranda" ... which they absolutely weren't.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...