Sunday

Tim Clark Turns Tables - Wins Players Championship


A few months ago Tim Clark was roundly castigated, by golf scribblers and message-board minions, when an ill-fated lay up went awry.

It was the par-5 finishing hole at the Bob Hope Classic. Clark had just birdied three of four holes ... including a clutch birdie at the par-3 17th... and found himself in a tie for the lead. Instead of going for the green on his second shot however, he cautiously chose to lay up. The problem came when he missed the eight foot birdie putt needed to force a playoff with Bill Haas, and finished as runner up... for the eighth time in his PGA career.

That's when Mr. Clark was described as "gutless" and "spineless". He was called a "bridesmaid extraordinaire"... and the "lay-up-heard-around-the-golf-blogosphere"? It was labeled the "The Wimpiest Move of All Time".

The 34 year old South African probably didn't lose any sleep over the journalistic reproach, but today, upon lifting the crystal trophy of the Player's Championship, he admitted he was pleased to finally put the Best Without a PGA Tour Win title behind him.

What Mr. Clark probably won't be able to shake however, are the incessant references to his height. I touched on that during the Presidents Cup last November when "Tim-Clark's-height-and-various-ways-to-describe-it" threatened to overshadow his brilliance on the golf course. ~ Well, reading the coverage of Mr. Clark's Players Victory I've encountered, "The Diminutive South African", "Little Tim Clark", "The Little Man", "Tiny Tim Clark" and myriad variations of such... in almost every article I've read. I don't know how tall the writers are or how men generally feel about being called diminutive or little or tiny, but again, I'd guess that Tim Clark probably isn't losing sleep over it. And his win today just reinforces the fact that in golf.. as in life... height is way over-rated.

On a final note, the most coveted aparel item in golf these days might just be the "Tim Clark Posse" shirt. I only person I know who has one is the ultra-awesome Reluctant Jam Boy. I'm sure he's wearing it proudly today.

20 comments:

  1. Nice to see him win after 206 PGA Tour starts. Superb round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I'm the bridesmaid extraordinaire. ;o)

    Secondly, I defended Mr. Clark then and I'm thrilled for his win now.

    Only a golfer can know how he/she feels standing over a certain shot. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't. But it sure is easy for those watching from their living rooms, or desks, to say what Mr. Clark should or shouldn't have done.

    Congratulations Mr. Clark on a fabulous win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, if anyone thinks that the mainstream golf press is all that original in their thinking or writing, they are fooling themselves. "Echo chamber" and "flock of parrots" comes to the top of my mind when I think of them, actually. That said, I am not surprised at the jokes and puns describing Tim Clark's height. The press is just doing what it does best, re-wording each other's works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember all those "shortie" remarks and how irritating they were then (& now).

    Good on you, Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim Clark has heard it all before I'm sure. I'd like to think he is rejoicing with pride and not even remotely thinking his height has ever been a disadvantage! Wow, a great display of golf prowess Mr. Clark!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the mention, Ms. Hannigan. And I'm really psyched for you and your book. Congratulations.

    It was a very surreal week. I followed Tim for all four rounds, and wore my "posse" shirt for 3 of the 4. I didn't wear it on the second day because of how hot and sweaty I was all week, but then I just said screw it on day 3...he's playing too well NOT to wear it.

    I was actually berated by a few golf writers for wearing that shirt in the media center. But not everyone can be as fortunate as they are, and get "inside the ropes" credentials wherever they go. This posse shirt has been a Godsend to help me get to know Tim.

    Being able to share that moment with Tim, his wife Candice, his caddie Stevie, and his caddie's wife Kristi was so special for me, after all of the rounds I had watched him play this year. In a way, I felt that I won yesterday too.

    I've heard that the "posse" shirt creator--who's name is Billy--has printed up another 500 and will be at the US Open distributing them. Kristi gave me another posse shirt on Sunday, but I ended up giving it to Michael Collins from XM Radio because he helped to get me on the air to talk about it. What a crazy week.

    And Patricia, two more quick things: you're ultra awesome, and yes, I am most definitely wearing that shirt today with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being more of the John Daly proportions, I've never had the terms "tiny" or "diminutive" cast my way. But I know that only small minds focus on a person's size or appearance when they are successful.

    If they are commenting on the courage and perseverance that someone displays in overcoming the disadvantage of being smaller, that is encouragement. To use it as a demeaning nickname is petty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like to see guys like Tim Clark win. He's a fine player and has come close so many times. How can you not be happy for him? That 66-67 display on the weekend was phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe if he was Ian Woosnam small - or he was a linebacker, I'd constantly refer to him as small. My favorite line from yesterday's coverage: "It's 112 steps from the 16th green to the 17th tee...probably more for Tim though."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being 6ft7 I have no frame of reference, but I would have to imagine it would get old ... until I looked over at that beautiful woman I have by my side and that championship trophy I have in my hands.

    Then I'd flip the world a diminuative bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Short is the new sexy. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can do better than Brandon Tucker:

    "As he walked in to sign his card, Phil Mickelson caught his attention and gave him a spirited high-five.

    Well, it was a high-five for Clark, who stands 5-foot-7. It was a medium-five for Phil, who stands at least half-head taller in both professional accomplishments and actual altitude."

    Steve Elling is such a self-righteous, effing putz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this feeling Tim Clark will be win again this summer, and I just know Westwood will get his US win in 2010. They're both great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather, your bridesmaid extraordinariness stems from the fact that you were the only member of your best friend's wedding party to wear a polka-dot golf skirt to the ceremony and left early to play the back nine and thus complete your round that Sunday.

    And the bride's parents checked your five-iron at the church's door.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forget about his height. Tim Clark showed the world what a gigantic pair of cojones he has with that tee shot he piped down the left side on 18 yesterday. Job well done, big man!!!

    Jim Dauer
    Co-Founder, FullForesome.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome job for Clark. SA pride!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome job for Clark. SA pride!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bugger Tim Clark! Go Robert Allenby! Seriously though Patricia, Tim deserves it, but gee from an Oz perspective, I wish Allenby had got up. BTW, nice work your doing, and you keep lookin' hot babe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to see Tim finally has a win under his belt. Now let us see more positive action.

    I'm sure Mr.Clark does not want to go down in history as a "one-hit wonder!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just want to emphasize the good work on this , has excellent views and a clear vision of what you are looking for earn diploma | ged diploma

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...