Wednesday

My Unconventional, Eclectic & Quirky US Open Picks


Tim Clark - I've been a fan of the tenacious South African for a while now, but I never knew he had a posse till I met the awesome Reluctant Jam Boy and he hooked me up with Tim Clark's Posse. I put my Tim Clark posse shirt on last night in support of my first U.E.& Q. pick. Some were skeptical but the way I see it Tim played Pebble Beach in 6 under during the AT&T in February and he's second on tour in driving accuracy, third in putting accuracy. And he's got a posse.

Miguel Angel Jimenez
- He personifies unconventional. Does a pretty good job with Eclectic and Quirky too. Ten years ago MAJ finished second at Pebble Beach. And as Mark Reason wrote in Telegraph.co.uk, "...there is plenty of evidence that a precise, shorter-hitting player who can shape the ball and has a great short game can win."

Tiger Woods - Neither Unconventional, Eclectic nor Quirky, despite his lackluster (for him) play of late, Tiger is still the odds-on favorite so technically he doesn't really fit the U.E.& Q. mold, however something about the way things are right now makes him fit right into the vibe of my list.

Sergio Garcia - When I mention him as a pick I generally get sighs of resignation that seem to ask: "When are you going to just let it go?" and my answer to that is "As soon as he wins a major," because even though his game has been somewhat abysmal of late, I know he'll get his major eventually, and I definitely intend to be there for it.

Ryo Ishikawa
- Multichromatic "Mr. 58" has admitted that his goal at Pebble Beach will simply be to make the cut. However I happen to think he's underrating himself, and I'm convinced that if the planets are correctly aligned there's nothing the bashful prince can't do. And in any case, he's always fun to watch.

So there you are. My Unconventional, Eclectic & Quirky US Open Picks ... Done.

9 comments:

  1. I really feel for Sergio. I don't think there's anything wrong with his game -- he's just become too burdened down with everybody else's expectations.

    If he could just start enjoying golf again, I think he'd break through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would really like to see tiger flounder a bit more. bring him back to earth. he is one of the greatest golfer of all time. but its just golf and i think his head got a little to big. plus when he plays everyone else is ignored or compared to him. he misses the cut and its still the main story. i personally enjoy watching tournament more when he is not in the field right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shirt. Looks good on you. Definitely look for the posse on television...Billy (the t-shirt creator) will be out there with some guys this week to root for Tim, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them on television. And thanks for the nod. You're pretty awesome yourself.

    Also, in addition to meeting Tim, I had been following Sergio a lot this year because Tim and Sergio are good friends, and Sergio's manager, Carlos, is a hell of a guy. I've walked probably 40-50 holes with him in all, and he never acts like it bothers him--even with my posse shirt on. Sergio's been working his ass off this year, and although his game hasn't been there as of late, you know he can catch fire. So you never know.

    Hope all is well Ms. Hannigan. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your picks are awesome. I'd just add Adam S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from Tokyo!
    About Ryo Ishikawa:
    ".....his goal at Pebble Beach will simply be to make the cut"
    It is not correct actually. In his interview in english, he said "I hope I can make the cut", but It is because of his english ability. Recently he always says "I want struggle for victory in every match with my agressive golf!" in japanese. I hope to watch his play all 4 days....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam ScHOTT and Mr. Villegas need to be added to your picks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Ashgolf and Heather Jones....I'd probably at Adam S. But I'd also consider Furyk also.

    You're picks are great. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryo's looking good at T4, Tim not bad at T14.

    ReplyDelete
  9. tiger cannot do anything on this time.. advantage for other player..

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...