Sunday

Of Turtlenecks and Polo Shirts - the 2010 British Open

















It's a look that's been around forever, but I've certainly never see so much of it... at least not in one place. I'm talking about the "short-sleeved-polo shirt-over-a-long sleeved-undershirt" look.

In the past, at the Open Championship... and other events where the weather was blustery... a more traditional sweater-over-a-polo-shirt, (possibly topped by a wind shirt or jacket) was the way most players confronted brisk conditions. The few who topped a long-sleeved turtle neck with a polo shirt looked... like dorks somewhat odd.

Over the past several days however... on the fairways and greens of the Old Course... myriad versions of that once unfashionable look have been on display. So much so that I think it now officially qualifies as a trend.

Last week at St. Andrews some wore it well... while others just couldn't get past dorky.

I like Phil Mickelson and I like a pink polo shirt... but please don't put them together with a long sleeved, moisture-wicking black compression undergarment between them. It just looks wrong. Right?

Lefty was far from the only layered player fashion victim. England's Ross Fisher is young and lean, but still looked weird in his polo-over-UnderArmour. And he wore some version of it for each anround. Talk about a sartorial strike-out. And the layers at left on Lucas Glover, look like what guys in these parts wear to the driving range.

Call me old-fashioned, but here's how I see it: a short sleeved shirt over a long sleeved shirt should be... interesting anomaly... an idiosyncratic style sported by a player like Y.E. Yang, who looks good in idiosyncratic. That's the way it always was in the past, no matter what kind of cold, windy weather presented itself.

To me it's kind of like Ryo Ishikawa's perfectly coordinated Yonex outfits or Rickie Fowlers distinctive PUMA Caps and Shoes. Those two players own those looks... and I'm a huge fan of both... but I think it would be farcical if the majority of players adopted either style.

At the time Seve Ballesteros won the 1984 Open Championship at St. Andrews he was considered fierce and flamboyant yet looked unquestionably elegant in a navy blue v-neck sweater over a white collared shirt, dark trousers and white shoes. If he were playing today I suppose he might have worn a navy blue polo shirt over white UnderAmour... and twenty years from now some futuristic golf blogger might nostalgically refer to the look as old-fashioned and charming.

"Ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread like viruses do." so writes Malcolm Gladwell in his book "The Tipping Point". He goes on to define the tipping point as "the levels at which the momentum for change becomes unstoppable." which makes me think that at the 2010 British Open a certain layered look may have reached the tipping point.

Photos: Getty Images

13 comments:

  1. the link of inappropriate fashion trends to a virus was my favorite. :) Thanks for the overview, I enjoyed the fashion recap and the picture was worth a thousand polos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you are so right when exactly did you stop being a dork for wearing long sleeve under short sleeve? C'mon all these guys have clothing deals and the only possible reason for this trend is the fact that manufacturers didn't want shirts covered up with outerwear...And after seeing the shirts Nike keeps pimping Tiger in you have to wonder why a good windshirt wasn't handy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny because I looked back to the last few Open Championships and sure enough the polo over under armour is rare and sweaters/jackets much more common. I think either the sponsors used to provide jackets and this year did not Or a few guys started wearing the long sleeve under short sleeve and others thought it had become cool and adopted it. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there you have the difference between men and women. :-)

    Men are interested in function before form. A long sleeve shirt under the short sleeve shirt moves a whole lot better than an over shirt over a short sleeve shirt and it's a lot warmer. Looks are less important than being able to move, stay warm, and out of the reach of that wind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont't see any differences between men and women on this point (in response to Courtgolf). More and more women golfers are playing with the long sleeve shirt under a polo. Because it's more convenient, as Courtgolf said. I do wear that, I think it's the best way to move easily. On the European Tour, the weather is not exactely Florida, so Ladies are getting used to wear something warm and easy. I guess that fashion is going to last forever (and yes, it's long...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sergio looks much better when he dresses like Seve. IMHO. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Under Armour was definitely a winner at the 2010 Open Championship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. in my opinion it's weird to see all the long sleeves under those shirts, too. but I'm sure it's not a fashion thing, it's more dictated by the apparel outfitters. when watching and reading this link, I realized that all pros really have no need anymore to think about their dress! just pick the intended set of clothes and thats it. dont think!! poor...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyBGucUBlw
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=196411&id=96946928257&ref=mf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Polo shirts, but not stripes. To me, being fit and wearing solids just looks sharper/cleaner design wise. When add pattern looks busy and diverts eye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly had no idea that it's a fashion faux pas to wear the long sleeve dri fit underneath a short sleeve polo? Since when did this happen? It's super functional for playing and feeling free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have to agree that the long-sleeved shirt under the short-sleeved shirt allows for much better movement. It's probably a bit of both - some players caught onto it for that reason, and others followed thinking that it looked good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I play golf in the cool Northwest, and the undershirt/armour with a polo is quite common. Not only does it help with the cools temps, but the fitted nature of the fabric does wick away the moisture and provide ease of movement. Personally, I don't think it looks bad at all. In addition, I had a bout with a skin cancer lesion on my arm and the long sleeve protects from the sun. I hat wearing a ton of layers when I play, and this trend allows for a more natural golf swing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering the same thing when I was watching the British Open the other week. I have never seen so many grown men wearing polo shirts with long sleeves under them. I kept thinking to myself why not just go ahead and wear a jacket instead of two shirt. I don't know maybe it had something to do with their sponsorships or something.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...