Monday

Rickie Fowler's Quail Hollow Win Predicted a While Ago

A couple of years ago I received a striking photo from the multi-talented Greg Moore, whose weekly dispatches from professional golf tournaments are a welcome departure from the standard fare. The photo featured Rickie Fowler, dressed in black, looking uncharacteristically intense and ready to conquer Quail Hollow on his first try.  Well, it didn't happen in 2010, but two years later, dressed in Sunday orange, Mr. Fowler lifted the Wells Fargo trophy for his  first win on US soil.  
I published the following post in late April of 2010, and now see it as something of a prediction.

Rickie Fowler & The Mayor of the Quail Hollow Putting Green  -  Apr 28, 2010

The ever intrepid Greg Moore is on the scene this week at Quail Hollow, armed with his camera and a keen sense of observation.

In addition to his skills as a roving reporter, Mr. Moore is also an avid player of Foursquare, the ultra-popular, geo/social networking game. I'm big into Foursquare too, but I'm not a great player because I always...um... forget to "check in".

So naturally I was green with envy a wee bit envious when I saw that Greg had become mayor of the Quail Hollow Putting Green AND the Quail Hollow Practice Range. Then I come to find out he's mayor of 46 places! Really cool places too... like Torey Pines Golf Course, Honda Classic Media Center and Riviera Country Club. And a Waffle House. The only mayorship I've managed to garner is that of Golf Girl Media World Headquarters and that's only because I work, sleep and recreate there. I mean here.

So yes, I'll admit it, I did harbor a moment of resentment for Mr. Moore's multiple mayorships... and all the colorful badges he'd collected in the game... but it was quickly forgotten when he sent me this great photo of one of our favorite players: the remarkable Rickie Fowler who's getting ready to play in the Quail Hollow Championship for the first time.

Greg took the shot earlier this week... at the Quail Hollow Putting Green. Thank you Mr. Mayor.

6 comments:

  1. I had no doubt Rickie would get his win in 2012... I'm pretty sure Ryo will too. The three Rs are the Real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you wrote this. I must admit I came late to the Fowler fan club, but I've been there about a year now. I was very happy to see him get his first victory yesterday. Francesco Molinari winning the Spanish Open was also nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to see this win. Some media types had actually written him off as an over-hyped player who'd never win. They're so quick to do that these days but now I think they'll have to leave him alone and just watch in admiration ;)

    Francesco Molinari too nice to see him remind the doubters how good he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's encouraging to see some of the guys with personalities winning, vecause it's going to take a lot of personality, and a lot of winning, to make up for the apparent decline of Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have Rickie Fowlers already win any compitiion at Quail Hollow?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with thegolfshark that Golf needs a new hero since Tiger Woods hasn't won a major in 4 years now. I still think it's possible he gets a comeback. What will be really interesting to see is if there is a rivalry between Rickie Fowler and Rory McIlroy. The rivalry could become just as big as Tiger Woods's better days.

    - Mike Hue
    Golf And Power
    http://golfandpower.com

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...