Wednesday

It's Springtime in the World of Golf












Magnolias are blooming all over Augusta, and out west in Palm Springs, the Lake of Champions becons.

The season's first majors are about to begin and for me, up here in still chilly Connecticut, this is the symbolic start of spring. That "official start" a couple of weeks ago didn't mean much to most New Englanders as it's remained largely cold and gray.

But that's changing. The sun's out and our course, Richter Park, opened today, though it was far to blustery to venture out. Tomorrow perhaps, if the wind dies down, but in any case I now feel the worst of the weather is over, and I'm ready to start my CT golf season.

The girls of the LPGA are already gathered at Mission Hills Country Club for the Kraft Nabisco Tournament which begins tomorrow. One of them will get wet on Sunday when she plunges victoriously into Poppys' Pond. All the big money's on amazing Lorena Ochoa who, admittedly, seems unbeatable. That's definitely the consensus at Golf For Women, though not everyone predicting a Lorena win. There are just so many stellar players, and golf is so unpredictable that it's really anyone's guess. Defending champion Morgan Pressel is my pick, despite her recent struggles. She obviously plays the course well and I have a feeling she's just yearning to get back into the Lake of Champions.

I know I'm not conventional, but I think we'll be seeing some soggy RL golf clothes on Sunday.

9 comments:

  1. That's one beautiful photo of MP. Someone did some photoshop I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do females participate in Masters Championships??? I came across an article on various underdogs who surprised and went on the win the championship. To check the article click here But I did not find any female name there. Can anyone help me with the golf championships which are held exclusively for females.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No - women do not play in THE Masters in Augusta, GA. There is, however, an Evian Masters tournament held in France every year, but it's not the same.

    The only tournament where men and women compete regularly is a silly season event called the Wendy's Three Tour Challenge.

    Men's majors:

    The Masters (next week)
    US Open
    British Open
    PGA Championship

    (second tier - The Players Championship, The Fed-Ex Cup Playoffs, Tour Championship)

    Women's majors: (which can be found on LPGA.com)

    Kraft Nabisco (this week)
    McDonalds LPGA Championship
    Ricoh Women's British Open
    US Women's Open

    ReplyDelete
  4. Court gave you a good breakdown. And on the underdog subject last year was a great example with Zach Johnson. As Patricia mentions golf is unpredictable. That said, I think Lorena is a sure bet for Nabisco. I'm waiting to see her swan dive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post and good comments! I'm glad I only have to drop in here to see what's up in the world of golf! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creamer in an upset. She's ready for a Major.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan, is a few back with Annika and Paula. its looking like Lorena to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorena is in her own world. I would be shocked if she didn't run away with this tournament.

    http://saturdaygolfer.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found the largest range of golf equipments at American Golf...

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...