Friday

What Tiger Woods Really Means, Elegantly Elucidated




















You may not know it from reading this blog, but Tiger Woods is a really big deal for me. I do write about him, but not often, because I figure he's being covered to a fare-thee-well by just about everyone else who writes about golf...and because this blog specializes in the lighter, fluffier side of golf. Tiger, needless to say, is neither light nor fluffy. That said, like every other golf blogger (writer, journalist, content producer) I'm perpetually attuned to Tiger news.

Earlier this week, on my daily golf blog meander, a stop at Three Putt Par...one of my favorite spots for honest, engaging golf content...led me to The Meaning of Tiger, an implausibly fine essay on the Tiger Woods.

I admire magnificent writing as much as I admire sensational golf, and this piece by Joe Posnanski is sublime. If like 96% of golf bloggers, you have a google alert for "Tiger Woods" you've probably already read it... and marveled over it. It's both lyrical and elegant. if you write about golf, this is what you aspire to, and if haven't read it, you simply must.

8 comments:

  1. Those last few sentences spoke volumes to me as a player who wants to be as good as I can be.

    Brilliant read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to be half as good as Tiger at golf or half as good as Joe Pos at writing about it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm alone in feeling like there's too much Tiger.

    I come here to get away from Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An incredible article by an incredible writer.

    As Heather did, I found the end of the article illuminating and telling. "Why bring negativity into your thoughts?" Tiger said. Indeed. That's advice that even a 16-handicapper who scrambles around most holes can use. After all, golf, more than any sport, relies on self-confidence and the quiet knowledge that one can get the job done. We can all use that on the first tee, standing over a six-foot putt for a hard-earned par or standing short-sided in a bunker. Believe, put your practice and skills to good use and do the job.

    We can all use that advice, not only on the golf course, but also in any endeavor we may undertake in our life. We will fail from time to time, even Tiger does. But what we can do is not to pre-dispose ourselves to that failure by committing to it before we even address the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If that article doesn't kick more ass than anything in the world, I don't know what does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Patricia -and Reverend before -for bringing the essay to my attention. I love good writing too and this is definitely good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous - I too believe there's too much Tiger and I think in a certain sense it's not good for the game because if for some reason he's not around, even fairly committed golf fans begin to lose interest - not to mention the general sports fans. More balanced coverage would raise the awareness about other great players and give fans a reason to tune in to a Tigerless tournament. But...exquisite writing is exquisite writing, no matter the subject and it's worth anyone's while to read Joe Posnanski's post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The PGA must be watching Tigers every move, calling him every day to encourage him to "get well soon". I agree - they're way too dependent on him.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...