Saturday

Nikki Garrett - Multiple Albatross Golf Girl














Have you ever hit an albatross?

Neither have I. The albatross is a rare bird, and a rare feat in golf. That's what makes Nikki Garrett's albatross... on Oatlands Golf Club's par-five fourth, at the NSW Women's Open yesterday... so impressive.

And you know what's even more impressive? It was her third such bird. Ms. Garrett bagged her first Albatross when she was only 14, then another when she was 20, both at her home course Tuggerah Lakes on Australia's Central Coast. Friday's feat was accomplished with driver and a four iron, and the resulting seven-under-par 65 round earned her a course record...briefly. Ubertalented Korean-born Australian, Sarah Oh, caught up to share yesterday's lead, and today sailed to the top of the board where she currently resides at 10 under...while Nikki's 1-over 73 has her trailing at six-under.

We'll see what tomorrow brings to scorching New South Wales. In any case I got a kick out of the gorgeous Ms. Garrett's rather nonchalant reaction to her amazing Albatross.

"I saw it land on the green but didn't see it go in. I saw a guy clap and I thought, 'Cool'."

10 comments:

  1. Carding a 2 on a par-5 is tough enough. But the real challenge is ace-ing a par 4.

    Oh and is Nikki Garrett attempting to woo multiple king bees from the men's tour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy. Albatross X 3. I guess that would be enough to make anyone a little blase. I'd love to see Nikki Garrett playing here in the US, and I hear she's going to try for the LPGA this year. That would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never say no to a Nikki Garrett story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I heard the golf term 'albatross' was in Scotland. I was staying at Gleneagles on business. Golf was with one of the locals, and he used the term in conversation. I never forgot it - but haven't heard it since...until now!! You go, Amazing Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might just quit golf if I even make an albatross

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia,

    I've never had an albatross, but I have eagled 8 holes on my home course and have birdied the other 10, giving me a "ringer' score of 26 under par, or 44 on my course.

    I know a lot of your readers have had much better "ringer" scores, so it might be neat if you did a 'golf girl survey' and let people tell us how low they went.

    Love your blog. My son's good friend just rejoined our club and her index is down to 10. She's a bigger golf maniac than either of us. We are trying to convince her to write a column for one of the golf blogs we just started.

    Thanks, again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post. I just spent 24 minutes googling images of Nikki Garrett. She's mega cute.

    I think you "score" or "card" or "record" an albatross. I think "hitting" one means you ruffled a few feathers...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She could be the hottest girl of all-time, I still find the albatross more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She had to to make a great shot to put the ball in position to roll into the cup, but there's still an element of luck in it actually doing so.

    I might ask Ms. Garrett to help me pick lottery ticket numbers...she certainly has the luck part on her side, in addition to tremendous golfing skills! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got an ace on a par four on a highland course - the biggest delight in my golfing life!To do it three times is fabulous - but its a lot of luck, too! I read somewhere that only 84 odd double eagles have been recorded worldwide since 1977 - so NG getting 3 (and me one) is really fantastic- talk about an exclusive club!

    My albatross was on a short par 4 - one of the toughest holes to design in golf - and this one's a doozy. 267 yds from tee to green - but you can't see the flag, its tucked way in to the left. Have to really draw the ball in from the right side of fairway. Green's guarded by two pot bunkers in front -and did I mention the entire right side is water and OB? oh, and another huge crescent shaped bunker behind the green to catch all the long drivers. Plus, the entire left side of the fairway is guarded by 50 feet high eucalyptus trees from a hundred yards out upto the green! In the woods, its a marvel if you can get out of trouble in one..... Its like threading a needle. I've actually seen some high handicappers tee off with a pitching wedge!!!
    Just enjoyed sharing this....and well done, nikki - i'm rootin' for ya!

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...