Monday

Erica Blasberg Lived Her Dream, Died Too Young


Erica Blasberg was talented and beautiful.

She'd had a stellar college golf career, and at just twenty-five had been living her childhood dream of playing on the LPGA Tour. Erica was one of the photogenic faces of PUMA Golf and as such always wore awesome golf outfits.

It seems implausible that this girl, with so much going for her, should die so young.

I met Erica just once, briefly, at Cristie Kerr's Birdies for Breast Cancer charity event last summer. It was a hot, humid New York City evening and I was spending a disproportionate amount of time in the ladies room on hair repair. (humidity is my hair's enemy)

When Erica breezed in I recognized her immediately... and I was quite surprised that she recognized me. She told me she read Golf Girl's Diary often, and had seen the post I'd done on the PUMA Open. I asked her about making the PUMA comercial with Johnny Damon. All told, I spent less than five minutes talking to her, but it was memorable, because she was disarmingly nice.

Erica clearly loved golf, but there's little doubt that she struggled... like many do... with the pressures of what is an extraordinarily difficult lifestyle.

Having gotten to know a number of LPGA players, and observed many elements of day-to-day life on tour, I really admire their dedication and talent, and always enjoy watching them play. However, I sometimes find myself "on the fence" about encouraging young girls to strive for a career as a golf touring pro... because the lifestyle is so much more challenging... and in many cases much less lucrative... than it appears on the surface. Some women... champions and journeywomen alike... handle it very well, but many struggle with it, and some are actually damaged by it.

At this point the cause of Erica’s death has not been confirmed. However, it definitely made me reflect, and I hope it will heighten awareness and encourage all fans to be supportive... in any way they can... of the ladies playing professional golf, because with the exception of a select small minority, what these women are doing is a labor of love and requires significant sacrifice.

My deepest sympathies go to Erica's friends and family, she'll be much missed.
golf writer Patricia Hannigan speaks about Erica Blasberg

12 comments:

  1. I was fortunate to be assigned to Erica's group for two of the four rounds of the 2006 Longs (Now CVS) Classic up in Danville.
    I was struck by her natural talent and her quiet, sweet, almost shy demeanor, and quite honestly, she was a very naturally pretty girl.
    When I started seeing postings about her passing on Twitter this afternoon, I got the same sick, empty, sucker-punched-in-the-gut feeling that I got when I learned of Wayman Tisdale's passing a year ago...
    After the Longs, I always looked for Erica's name on the LPGA participant lists and her placement in them, and hoped that she would place high.
    She was very accurate off the tee, and her putter was frequently close but not quite, and was probably her biggest technical challenge to finishing higher in the standings. During the Longs rounds, I could tell that she was upset with herself, and had high expectations that she felt that she was not meeting.
    Her smile was beautiful, and at the conclusion of both rounds, she would stop and autograph a ball for the walking scorer and standard bearer, in her loopy, almost girly hand with the heart dot on the "i". Erica was different than most of the other players because she actually spent a couple minutes asking us about our golf game, where we came from and other topics, in a very quiet, but sincere voice. And flashing that smile....
    Most all of the LPGA players will sign golf balls or gloves and give them away, but very few spent a couple of minutes to actually TALK to the volunteers after the rounds - especially a round that she was frustrated about.
    It was a pleasant differentiator, and one that I remember to this sad, sad day....
    My thoughts, prayers and condolences go to her parents.
    It it truly a sad day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so saddened to hear about Erica. What a huge loss. It does make me feel sick to hear this kind of news.

    My prayers are with her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only met her once, at last December's LPGA Q School. A charming young woman and great golf talent. My sympathies to her family and her many friends.
    Dave A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always hard to see that someone has died at so tender an age, but even more so when they have such great talent. Erica will be missed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heartbreak. She had so much going for her and it's so sad to see that cut short.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard she possibly committed suicide. It seems so senseless and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most fans believe that LPGA players all make great money and lead lives of luxury, flying around the world in private jets and going from one luxury resort to the next just playing golf. As you mention, in reality very few are making huge amounts of money and many do struggle. Then there's the endless hours of practice and the stress of keeping the card.

    You're totally right about the sacrifices and about being supportive to these ladies who've dedicated themselves to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was looking at her video from Mexico at the LPGA site. It was only a couple of weeks ago and she seemed so happy... like such a good spokesperson.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69YMPdRiJ4M&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very saddened to see anyone of this young age with so much to live for have her life snuffed out.

    It appears that most of the LPGA golfers are more accessible than their male counterparts; that is probably one of the reasons why so many have heard of Erica.

    Her ready smile and humble approach to the cameras and her fans will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an amazing post! Thank you for writing such a beautiful description of her... Sending healing energy to her family...

    You are so incredibly right about the LPGA being pretty different than most people think. It's not the PGA tour (yet). But there is no reason it can't be much more like it in the way of $$ some day (maybe soon)

    Thanks again for the beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in just utter shock! Wow, I was a huge Erica fan. I just can't believe it. This tragedy just shows how tough, physically and emotionally Professional Golf is as a life's choice. There is so much behind the veil, behind the glitz and glamour, and fame. For the competitors, it is the person inside who is the biggest, hardest and most hurtful critic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is not an easy life for many and they do get discouraged. Some of the players have shared a bit of their "down" time to me. Maybe because I'm older, they are comfortable with it. A male their own age they might not want to do that with.

    You really have three or four levels of money earners on the LPGA tour. You also have the Durameds tour where the struggle gets even more difficult. It's rewarding and glamourous for some, but even that life can become stressful. For many of the players, making ends meet is a real challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...