Monday

The Poulter Poll - Is Ian on the Right Track?








Personally, I think he is.

Rather than his usual "Austin Powers meets Sid Vicious meets jungle fauna on steroids" look, in Augusta last week Ian Poulter put his own spin on casually elegant golf style. He seemed inspired by the likes of Bing Crosby and Sam Snead, however his color choices and the addition of complimentary racing stripes to his pants assured that there was nothing dated about his style.

In the past Mr. Poulter has amused, offended and annoyed golf fans with pernicious plaids, putrid patterns and patriotic peccadilloes that have resulted his being thought of as something of a couture clown. No longer.

Now, not everyone loved Ian's new look. Some thought he was still trying too hard. But not me, I think this works for I.P. and I'd like to see him stick with it and make the look his signature.
What did you think of Ian's look in Augusta?
Bad - It was over-the-top and distracting, as usual. Why can't he just dress normally?
OK - It was an improvement over past looks, but still too "out there".
Good - I liked the look but don't think I'd encourage him to maintain it.
Great - A classy look, well executed. He should stick with this look and make it his.

View Results


Who knows? Maybe, if enough golf fans approve, we won't have to see any more of this nonsense:

10 comments:

  1. Ian's new look is great. It's like he finally grew up but he's still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words goober-ass fool come to mind rather quickly.

    That's the kind of kid I used to beat up in school ... every day.

    You'll find your readers will overwhelmingky hate his look ... for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a golfers version of Queer Eye For the Straight guy? He's doing better, but I think he needs to meet up with Rodney Dangerfield in a pro shop and get hit with a "looks good on you, though." That would be life altering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowing how much he is getting paid to wear what he wears, I would say he would be better off going the conventional route of making a living on the PGA by winning and forget the distraction his fashion statement is making to his game... If he was not getting paid to wear the stuff, I am sure he would not be wearing it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on boys, Ian looks great in the new look. He's ranked 30th in the world too so he's not a bad golfer. Oh, he's also designing his own clothing line and drives an Aston Martin. yeah, I like him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that retro look too but I'm imagining it on my husband and all I can do is laugh. Especially the pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia, you like that look? Are you gonna get Nick to wear it? I think he'll refuse. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patriotic peccadilloes???

    Guess that makes you the authority of alliteration today, huh??? =)

    Back in high school, my US History teacher used to pontificate about matters outside of US History (which is why we all loved him..)

    Mr. Johnson used to call people like Ian enamored with "AGD's", or Attention Getting Devices...

    He craves the attention that "Being different" brings - usually rooted in some deep-seated self-esteem issues....

    Thus endeth today's Psychology 101 lesson...

    I say...whatever...it would make more of a statement if he had the wins to back it up, but otherwise, it just looks like a desperate plea for attention that his game does not bring him...but I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Golf Girl-
    I agree with you that Poulter's "get up" was as outrageous as he's been in the past. But I still think he needs to focus more on his golf game, and less on his on course fashions.

    Btw- My bold prediction is that Augusta National will institute a dress code (a la: wearing white at Wimbledon) within the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice the poulter poll - is ian on the right track? post! Thanks for intesting info! More Aston Martin can be found at http://www.auto-portal.us/

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...