Thursday

Golf Guys: Just Embrace Your Personal Style Already

While many were still twittering about the pink & orange argyle Awesomeness golf pants John Daly wore at the Open de Espana yesterday, Shane Bacon, Chief of Fashion Police at FanHouse, and editor of the brilliant, Dogs that Chase Cars, was intently studying the attire at Quail Hollow today.

And what he discovered had him... once again... wondering about the one we affectionately call Lefty; "Where exactly is Mr. Mickelson going with his look?"

That seemed to be the question on Shane's mind, and this time it was apparently precipitated by a not-at-all-unattractive green belt.

The photo above was offered as evidence of Phil's latest fashion folly. And, while it's a definite improvement over "Phil-in-a-white-belt", "Phil-in-a-green-belt" is still not completely "appropriate" for Phil Mickelson.

Why? Because you can tell...you can JUST TELL... that lovable Lefty would really rather be rocking wearing a "normal belt". That is... a belt in black or brown leather... something that wouldn't be noticed. Even by the astute eyes of Shane Bacon.

Mr. Mickelson's own personal look (with the exception of an unfortunate encounter with a Conquistador Helmet early in his career) has always been stylistically uneventful... what's know among the golf fashion blogger elite as, "unremarkable ubiquitousness".

It's an extremely popular style on the PGA tour; we all know it - khaki pants, an ample discreetly colored polo and the standard billed cap/visor - And Phil Mickelson wears it better than anyone. Because that's his style...the style he feels 100% comfortable in. You can JUST TELL.

Granted, at first it may seem unfair; John Daly can wear wildly patterned pants in a plethora of neon colors... and be well received by most observers... while Phil Mickelson can't even wear a conservative `forest green belt without having fans scratch their heads and ask, "what's up with Phil and that crazy belt?" Am I Right?

Of course I am. Because, as I've said before, it's all about personal style, and if you let someone else convince you to diverge from yours, you're probably not going to feel quite right. And it'll inevitably show.

So, Golf Guys: Go with what you are and embrace your inner you. If you're an exuberant, outgoing, extrovert with a big personality, by all means rock the argyle pants (and you can order them right here). However, if you're understated... and/or shy... and/or conservative... stick with the basics, and wear them proudly.

OK, this post went on far longer than I intended it to, and at this point anyone who accuses me of dwelling on the superficial nuances of golf fashion ad ad nauseum may be justified.

12 comments:

  1. You are so right about personal style! It's much more important than body build or coloring in deciding what kind of clothes you look good in. I've found that out the hard way a few times. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the different styles of golf fashion, guys have so much to choose from, it's great. Some choose to make an effort others don't. I've been getting more into what I wear on the golf course. Damn I even have a white Puma belt now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OGB - Get the white shoes and rock the full Cleveland.

    Ash - I'm pretty you'd look good in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryo has the right personal style to wear wild clothes, so does Ian Poulter. I think they feel fine in crazy thing. Phil clearly does not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally disagree. I think Mr. Mickelson looks nice in the green belt. Do we really know what Mr. M feels more comfortable wearing?

    I know my style changes from day to day. One day I'm on the course in a hot pink golf dress, the next day I might be in a more conservative mood in black and white skirt combo.

    I definitely think Mr. M should dress as he chooses. Maybe he wants to mix it up a bit and shake his conservative styling of yesteryear. I give him credit for trying something new. Shouldn't he be allowed a little fun too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. Oh, I think he looks great in it too.

    This post is largely satirical. However I do get the feeling...from the personality he projects and from things he's said...that Phil Mickelson himself, would choose the most basic, standard colors and styles.

    And though I'm not at all SURE of this, the message here is: "Wear what you feel comfortable in not what someone else tell you to wear. Don't be afraid of fashion but don't let it be imposed upon you either."

    ReplyDelete
  7. The white belt has jumped the shark, or should I say I hope it has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's definitely some truth to what you are saying because Phil even admitted that his wife chose the white belt he wore a few weeks ago. When he said it he almost seemed to be saying - Don't blame me.

    Bad choice Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here I go comparing Phil to Tiger again. Mr. Woods has professional fashion consultants at Nike who select his wardrobe in advance. Tiger wears what they give him (and he's always stylish), the next day it's in the stores.

    I have a suggestion for Phil. He should sign with a clothing company that will do the same for him. I'm sure there are tens of thousands of middle-aged white guys who'd love to pull off the same look Phil has, if he had one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The green belt looked pretty damn cool - and frankly, I applaud Phil for trying to work a fade on the fashion meter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think he's currently developing his look. My favorite is definitely the black on black, with the white belt of course. It looks sharp, and I hope he keeps this up!

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...