Tuesday

Do I Have to Do a Post on Father's Day Golf Gifts?

.
You see, my own father never played golf.

He was very athletic, but I suppose there were just too many sports competing for his attention; he played, football, basketball and baseball in high school and was voted Most Athletic in his class.

Dad was injured playing minor league baseball and ultimately became a PE teacher. He coached high school teams and was an avid cyclist as well as an enthusiastic sailor. He shared those hobbies with us growing up and we have great memories of summer days on Long Island Sound and pedaling through the pastoral Connecticut countryside. No golf, however.

Golf... I discovered and fell in love with on my own. And that was OK in the end. But when Father's Day rolls around I sometimes wish I did have a golfing dad because...I seem to find myself drawn to gifts with a golf theme.

Tiffany's always has unique and wonderful golf gifts. Elegant silver pens, key rings and money clips embellished with tiny irons and golf balls. Or a tubular sterling golf ball holder with matching tee and divot fixer. I guess you always take more pleasure in giving a gift you'd actually like to receive.

As it is, I'll probably offer Dad something practical, like the new lawn mower he's been wanting for a while. Turns out I've never had the slightest desire for a lawn mower, so I keep putting off the trip to Sears. I'll try to get there tomorrow.

Ironically, I don't think I'd ever put off a trip to Tiffany's.

11 comments:

  1. If you find a lawn mower key chain at Tiffany's let me know. I need one for my dad too.

    Neighbors say they have actually seen him use scissors to trim the lawn.

    We bought him clubs one year. They are covered in a thick film of dust, not so for his beloved John Deere mower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad and Father in Law have both gone on to that great green course up above, so the only Dad's day gift I need is for my husband. He happens to be a crazed golfer, no lawn mower here. That would be like giving me something that plugs in.
    He did comment yesterday that I happen to have 6 pairs of golf shoes (2 are sandals)and he has 3, one of which he's about to throw out. I guess that's my subtle hint. PGA Tour Superstore here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SJN, you are a perceptive one. Good luck with the shopping.

    And Patricia, your Dad sounds like a practical guy. I would skip Sears, though, and get him either a Toro or a Honda lawn mower if you are buying one of the Push variety. Both are available at Lowe's or Home Depot.

    -- from someone who spends entirely too much time on his lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of COURSE you "need" to post about father's day golf gifts. Admit it - you have a chance to do more shopping and shoe talk. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like your dad gave you some great memories growing up. I think he deserves his lawn mower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Turns out I've never had the slightest desire for a lawn mower..."

    You haven't seen the pink lawn mower at Percy's Place, in the Village.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia and Heather, you should both buy lawn mowers for your dads.

    The mower the merrier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get him the mower.

    Then, tell me what make and model it is if he really likes so I can suggest to the guy who mows my lawn to get one just like it.

    I buy my own FD's gifts and send the kids a bill (a hefty bill!) I am paying them back for all of Christmases of getting English Leather. Only kidding...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Dad is a golf nut so Ive no such problems. If I did happen to buy him a lawn mower, Ive no doubts he would send me out on it...cutting grass in rainy Ireland is not as much fun as what it looks on Desperate Housewives I can assure you.
    P.S - Congrats on the blog, very impressive

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dad sounds like a great guy. And if you're willing to walk into Sears for him, you're a great daughter. Nice post. ;

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very timely post, the more tips the better.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...