Wednesday

The End of an Era for One Lifelong Golfer

.













Earlier this year - in the depths of a particularly cold winter - I wrote about Dave Begel, an award winning journalist, and passionate lifelong golfer, who was wrestling with doubts; doubts about his relationship with the game he'd loved for over a half-century.

His misgivings, he surmised, were due to the changing golf landscape, and to changes within himself. An unsettling malaise had begun to permeate even his most lighthearted round. He shared these thoughts with his readers. "The question," he wrote, "is whether or not I should give up golf".

His own answer came yesterday in a follow-up piece he penned for those same readers, and it surely wasn't the answer they were hoping for. Dave presented what was in essence an obituary for his golf game. Dave explained, in simple terms, the causes of his disenchantment: Increasing cost in an upside-down economy was clearly a factor, as was was his diminishing ability to compete at levels where he once dominated. Some would see the gradual deterioration as an inevitable part of aging but, if you're highly competitive (so I'm told) you always want to win, and Dave Begel just wasn't winning that much anymore.
















The upside of the story is that this once-addicted golfer isn't giving up everything. He's actually helping to pass the passion on to a new generation through his three-year-old grandson, and he's still a fan who follows golf in the media and keeps up with the players.

Dave Begel knows - like John Updike knew at the same juncture - that it's the routine and the relationships he'll miss the most ...and that it's the end of an era for the faithful foursome he's been an integral part of for decades.

I brought you the first part of this story back in late January, because I felt it illustrated, quite clearly, some of the issues that golf is grappling with today. The conclusion bears that out. The message is one we've been hearing a lot lately, and it's a valid one; golf...the golf industry...must reach out to new players and different demographic groups. Perhaps with the economic decline and the aging of the current golf population, it's time to try some new and different ways to A) make the sport accessible, and B)keep people interested once they've tried it. With the Daves of the world retiring from the game in large numbers, golf needs a plan.

As for Dave, I've no doubt he'll be fine. He's got a plethora of exciting hobbies, and I'm pretty sure he'll spend lots of wonderful summer afternoons in the backyard, with his grandson and the seven iron, doing his part to pass on a love for the game.

"Abandoned Golf Bag" Photograph: © iMorpheus on Flickr

"Lone Golfer" Photograph: © NeilAderney123 on Flickr

13 comments:

  1. It's too bad but it seems far too many in golf are concerned with shouting down anyone who dares say golf may be in a wee bit of trouble. "All is well...all is well! Move along, nothing to see here.".

    Golf is aging. And while it will likely never 'die' it runs the risk of retreating significantly in terms of participation and perception vs. advancing.

    Until more in the golf community speak up actively in contrast to those who insist 'everything's fine' the risk of diminished game increases.

    At least...that's what I think :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golf's become too expensive a game for too many potential players.

    They're simply saying, "Let's call the the hole thing off."

    Some might actually be singing it as such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golf is indeed aging.

    Even the golf ball's dimples don't look as cute as they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A seven-iron in the backyard sounds like too much club.

    Maybe he just needs a new caddy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame that Dave can't enjoy golf on a less competitive level...but I understand where he's coming from. It's something about the way we're raised here the US of A...second is the first loser type attitude. :o\

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one likes a quitter. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand where he's coming from. As a 6 hdcp, and someone who's fired his share of par golf rounds it's frustrating when your mind out powers your physical ability. I worked hard on my game when I was a 24, then 17, 12, 10, 7 hdcp player. I'm not as dedicated as I was 20 years ago, but I still have the passion. I never competed at more than league level. But I also lost the time to devote to the game. I saw older guys games I played with then start to fade. Now I'm 49, but still get pissed like a 17 y/o when things go awry...usually my fault. But I keep going out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Few years ago, my father passed away unfortunately. I am beginning to understand the love for the game. Playing golf requires passionate, determination and patience. Ageism doesn't matter to my father. I was impressive with his determination to play golf. His shoulder have been aching and popping when he tried to stretch his shoulder. I asked him thinking about stop playing golf and he shook the head. He was addicted to golf. He was a competitive person and likes to beat anyone. Once again, age doesn't matter....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Relative to today's dollar and inflation, golf has not gotten more expensive, it has actually gotten cheaper. Even cheaper this year with equipment and rounds of golf being deep discounted.

    Hack is right. Old farts like me want it like it was and refuse to see the forest for the trees. The demographic of the Gen X or Y young adults is not conducive to growth in golf, it is causing a slow death.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it is a long time until I quite playing. It's not the score that matters so much, it is the chase, and the idea of doing better than yesterday.

    Is there anything so hopeful as a blank scorecard?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope it is a long time until I quite playing. It's not the score that matters so much, it is the chase, and the idea of doing better than yesterday.

    Is there anything so hopeful as a blank scorecard?

    And there is always that one shot that keeps you coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But, you don't quit the game. It may quit you soon enough - health, wealth, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good find golfgirl, i think anything you really love over a long period of time is more about the associations, relationships and the rituals that are borne of it than the actual act. although hitting a pure golf shot is pretty great too.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...