Saturday

Golf in France - Tiger Woods May be Tempted

.
That was the story going around shortly before Christmas.

Reported and repeated... as stories are these days... in a plethora of publications from the blatantly gossipy Showbiz Spy to sites many consider serious news sources, like The Huffington Post.

Slate.fr actually published a fictional application... from Tiger Woods... for asylum in France.

There were two reasons given for the golfer's potential dépaysement: France's stricter privacy laws and French indifference to the conjugal infidelities of celebrities. The simplistic conclusion was that Tiger might want to mend fences by taking his family to a secluded chateau in a place where the local population wouldn't dwell on the daily declarations of alleged mistresses. ~ However, as someone who fell in love with golf on a little course outside of Paris, I'm guessing there might be more to it than that.

Renowned golf writer Brian McCallen actually calls the country "Europe’s most underrated golf destination". And as author of Golf Resorts of the World, Top 100 Courses You Can Play and Golf’s Best New Destinations I think it's fair to say that Mr. McCallen knows the nuances of global golf resorts.

In his article, Golf in France: A Moveable Feast, the former senior editor at GOLF Magazine describes a golf destination that's about much more than just the game, and an ambiance that's distinctly more relaxing than what we find in the US... more inclusive and... OK, more sensual:
"At the golf clubs my wife and I visited, from the vineyards of Bordeaux to the foothills of the Alps, nearly every group we encountered was a mixed foursome. The vast majority of these golfers were walkers, the men and women stylishly attired, their bags pulled on trolleys, their rounds completed promptly in four hours. Less time on the course means more time for dining and socializing. France sets the pace for both."
Had I never played golf in France I might be skeptical that the game could be like that. But I have played there... several times... and it is.

Mr. McCallen does point out that from a pure golf point-of-view France does not offer what Ireland or England does, but he clearly understands that some many most of us while not proficient enough to fully appreciate a windswept day at Doonbeg can thoroughly enjoy a round at Vigiers... and the ensuing glass(es) of St. Emilion.

I urge you to read the article. It can be found at The A Position where you'll find some of the best golf writing on the internet. The kind of golf writing that's getting increasingly difficult to find.

Despite reports that Elin Woods was spotted... sans Tiger... at a New Year's party in the French Alps, speculation on French future for the Woods family seems to have died down for now. But who knows what the future may bring for the beleaguered Athlete of the Decade.

Meanwhile I'm working on an itinerary for my own 2010 French golf adventure.

12 comments:

  1. France is my favorite place in the world! I never played golf there but I hope to one of these days.

    Must leave time for shopping though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even been to France... but I do know the ladies seem to love the Evian Masters at Evian-les-Bains, France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. France is a wonderful country - if only the french would give a damn and would not force everyone to speak their language. My french is abysmal, my english is much better, but communicating with french people is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The house of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie (for sale) is in the south of france (Provence) at Miraval, just nearby the golf course of Barbaroux....
    Who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't played golf in France for at least 3 yrs. although we used to do so regularly. Last time we attempted it, we disembarked from the cross-Channel ferry about to cross over the Pont de Normandie, when I remarked how brilliantly my husband had packed the car; amazing how he had managed to pack all the suitcases, clubs and trolleys into the trunk, as it normally requires the back seat too. The car screeched to a halt, the trunk was examined. We are still married.

    Your article may tempt us to try again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny when that story came out that he wants to stay in france to heal...France!?!? i laugh, knowing what it is there. French believe in one thing, Tiger did not do anything bad because to them it's common that "you get married and you misbehave."

    I never played there but one day I will, if only I can get out from the beauty that is Paris! I love France that i do my yearly pilgrimage there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tigers a tool, France can have him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, If you're still married. I can only assume your husband took you directly to Place Vendome to make up for his egregious omission. ;)

    Steffi, not far from Paris is Chantilly. It's an elegant town with great golf, and beautiful château. If you've got kids with you, the Asterix parc is nearby, and if there are any equestrians in your group, there's the horse racing and thoroughbred musuem. I hope to get back there with my brood one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. France is also one of my favorite place in the World. I am actually in Paris as I write this note- leaving tomorrow back to my home town, Los Angeles-
    Chantilly as said in one review is a great course- We have a few here that are great- as great as some of the best this World can give- Morfontaine, Chantilly, Les Bordes, Evian les Bains (which I play last summer), St Cloud, Fontainbleau, St Nom la Breteche (were I am a Member- and host of the Lancome Trophy from 1971 to 2003 and now host the Seve Ballesteros Trophy on PGA Tour), RCF la Boulie, St Germain (which hosted the 1st Women World Amateur in 1962), Joyenval...all of these are excellent mostly private courses which will allow non members to play during summer month as most members are out of town to the South, with the exception of St Nom la Breteche, Joyenval and Morfontaine where you must be accompanied by a Member- Shopping is always great here, with one of our most famous brand ($$) - Hermes!
    Wines and foods- we have so many great places and my favorite hotel (if you have money) is the Four Seasons George V and more economically but also fun is the Hilton Arc de Triomphe- Enjoy as I do..about 3 times a year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wrote the above paragraph! Hope you enjoy it! and thank you.
    Laurent

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piece of writing, as usual, Patricia. About a week ago I posted on my blog that Tiger becoming an expat in France for a year or so would help repair his image, restore some mystique, and also allow his immature side an opportunity to develop.

    I think it's a terrific idea. But then, have a natural bias for France with a French son educated in Aix and Paris, and my novel set in both places.

    Ironically, too, today when saw your piece was also 'friended' on FB by a very nice Parisian who is a golf photog....

    All best to your continued terrific writing & upcoming golf adventurers in France. I am relocating there in Nov 2010. Love Carmel but my son isn't moving back to US and have one foot there and one here. If only these two great places were pushed closer together!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GolfShark. Yes, we are still married. You're probably right that we should have changed it to a Paris shopping holiday instead, but might have meant visiting ma-in-law who lives there (husband is French and I have dual citizenship).

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...