Wednesday

PUMA Buys Cobra ... and Jochen Zeitz is Awesome

.
With all the golf clothes I have... and I have tons... I'll rarely hit the course without some PUMA on.

I've golf four pairs of PUMA golf shoes... though one's been in my sister's possession since last July when I lent it to her for the PUMA open. For some reason, I can't get her to give them back, though I've asked repeatedly.

I love my PUMA Belts too and the skirts, pants, shirts... everything reflects a color pallet that's anything but traditional. Plus the way the pieces are cut and the hardware. What it all adds up to is... I tend to feel empowered in PUMA.

The PUMA brand is as innovative and appealing and cool as its chairman, Jochen Zeitz, who's been called the golden boy of global branding, and who's taken PUMA from a losing proposition to a global powerhouse.

Those of us with a passion for golf have got to be happy that Herr Zeitz is committed to the golf category. So committed in fact, that his PUMA has just announced it will acquire innovative golf equipment brand Cobra - the inventor the original hybrid club. Recent PGA Tour winners Camillo Villegas and Ian Poulter, will presumably come with the brand.

But the thing I like most about PUMA... and about Jochen Zeitz, the man... is the commitment to causes... to world peace and the elimination of hunger... and much more. In fact PUMA has an in-house charity organization founded and run by employees... and supported by PUMA management. The stated purpose of the organization is "to activate PUMA’s products and the company’s worldwide infrastructure in order to raise money internally in support of people in need". That sounds pretty awesome to me.

Top Photo:Photograph: Timm Schamberger/AFP/Getty Images

12 comments:

  1. I love my Puma too and searched the world over to find an 18-hole logo belt that would fit last year. Still wish I had a white one.

    Cobra is a big part of my game too. Their Baffler hybrids are sensational and were one of the quickest fixes to my long game a couple years ago before I hit my woods well.

    I'm excited to see what this new team shows us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love PUMA!

    I'm still on the first page of Google for a review I did on their golf shirts.

    Hope they see the value in golf bloggers like you ... and me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick up for Puma. They want into golf and Cobra gives them a head start instead of starting an equipment company from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jochen has a very sexy German accent too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have mixed feelings. I switched to Cobra 2 seasons ago, and play almost a complete set. It is nice to see Cobra move back to the front row of brands..instead of being a secondary brand of Calloway. I just hope Puma can keep things rolling...and the prices don't go up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is just another sign of downsizing of the golf industry. Between us, there is an oversupply in golf equipments...Probably it is late for Puma to enter the golf industry (Adidas entered in 98'). BTW this move is a classic management step to acquire market share without investing too much money in brand+product development.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how much they're paying for Cobra? I imagine Herr Zeitz got a good price and I think the two brands are well situated to work well together. They definitely focus on the younger side of the market though and in golf that's something of a risk. One I hope pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PUMA is the choice of a new generation... or is that Pepsi?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoops...Cobra was in the fortune brands group, not calloway as I previously stated. Cobra does seem to be a perfect fit for Puma...both brands have been positioned at the younger fashion forward end of the market.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't get too psyched to see new Cobra toys with a Puma flag any time soon. The switch to Puma won't happen until at least late August, and even then, we won't see anything different. Titleist will still be handling their manufacture, distribution, and marketing for the time being.

    There are new Cobra clubs for 2010, and they are worth checking out.

    Cobra was third banana with Acushnet - Titleist golf balls are top priority, followed by Titleist clubs...then Cobra. It'll be good for Cobra to be top priority for someone. They have been the technology forward branch of Acushnet for a long time.

    I guess they might get tagged as "for younger golfers" at some point, but Cobra has been great for the average player who knows that a little technology can go a long way to improving their game.

    I just hope Puma doesn't treat Cobra like an accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excuse me but is Herr Zeit geheiratet? And if not, do you have his telefonnummer? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, Jennifer. He is. I checked already.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...