Wednesday

Vince Spence, One-Eyed Golfer: You'll Sure be Missed


Vince Spence often wrote about golf history.

He presented stories from bygone days where clubs were called mashies, and cleeks and niblicks.

Players with familiar names... but forgotten stories... were resurrected by the affable Baltimore native, and presented to us in frequent posts that were a pleasure to read.

Then there were One-Eyed's stats. He had a bit of an obsession with stats. And I've got so say, sometimes when I saw the rows of numbers spread across his pages, I approached them with trepidation. But I never regretted reading them. Somehow Vinny could make golf statistics downright seductive... and at turns compelling, comedic and captivating.

Everyone I know delighted in One-Eyed's writing, but it was the man himself who made a major impact with his kindness and empathy. In the often acrimonious world of golf blogging and golf bloggers Vince Spence was a generous, uplifting breath of fresh air, and he'll be very much missed.

8 comments:

  1. I'm still in shock and very sad.

    He's playing some pristine fairways right now, but he'll be greatly missed in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vince will be missed. For almost a year he'd been gently coaxing me to start blogging. Though he won't be around to see it I'm going to try, and I'll give it my all in his honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to Vince's family and friends. I will miss him a great deal in the blogosphere. He was genuine, sometimes cranky (which I loved), knowledgeable, fun, generous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just stunned and had no idea! He will be sorely missed in this world. He was always so entertaining & knowledgeable. I'll play my golf game today in his honor & I'll keep his family in my thoughts & prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so stunned to hear the news as well and incredibly sad. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed Vince's blog and anyone who uses the "Natty Boh" man as his icon is a winner in my book. (National Bohemian was a great Baltimore beer.) I will miss reading his insight and posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the One-Eyed guy's posts about Bobby Jones. And Golf Girl is right, his statistics always led to an interesting conclusion. My condolences to the many who will miss him. I share your sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked with Vince pretty closely the last year or so and always had a fun outlook on life - goes to show just how precious life is.

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...