Wednesday

Only Two Things - Short Hitters, Big Drivers & Sexism

.
The photo's been confronting me for a couple of weeks now and I'm getting a bit really tired of it.

Now if you know me, you've probably noticed that I'm not particularly sensitive to many images and ideas that are deemed to be "sexist".  

I readily acknowledge that many sexual stereotypes are based on actual behavior, and whether the behavior is culturally imposed or genetically dictated, the results can be endlessly funny.  The fact is, as much as I hate housework,  I've been know to laugh at jokes that compare women with washing machines as long as they're told with a modicum of cleverness, class or taste.
And perhaps that's what I find so annoying, obnoxious, unfunny about "Tired of being a short hitter?" and the accompanying photo, in Golf Digest's November issue
    
Let me be clear there are lots of things I love about Golf Digest: their superlative travel stories... like Dom Furor's about playing golf in the Himalayas...  and their uniquely informed articles on golf history come immediately to mind.  ~ And because the readership of Golf Digest is approximately 94% male,  I understand that the editorial content... instructional articles, equipment reviews, news from the professional tours... as well as the flavor... design, humor, writing style... will naturally reflect a male sensibility. 

However, I feel that this particular piece, goes beyond "typical male humor" and veers perilously close to degrading, desperate and mean-spirited.  And I'm guessing it was at least mildly offensive to most men as well as to women. The article is not available online at this point, but I've spoken to a wide cross-section of golf acquaintences, male and female, who receive the print publication, and they all concurred (except for the one we affectionately call "Neanderthal Ned").

Numerous bloggers... including the awesome Emily Kay... weighed-in on the... um... tone-deaf, awkwardness of the story, and letter's to editor reflected a collective incredulity and disappointment, which brings us to the subject of tonight's show: Golf Digest's dude in pink and pearls: does anyone find it funny?   And was the editor's response to the criticism somewhat dismissive... or is this all just a typical Venus-to-Mars overreaction?  That's what we'll be talking about tonight Only Two Things.  You can join the conversation too... on-air... by using our call-in number, which is: 917-889-9592.  Or weigh in at the chat room or on Twitter... or just have a listen at Blog Talk Radio. We'll be live from 9:30 - 10:30 ET.

11 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you tonight. I might be a few minutes late. I have to shave my legs first. ;)

    Seriously. I would like to know if the writer of this "funny" piece could hit the ball as far as Wie. Lincicome, Pettersen, Tseng, etc, etc. I know where I would bet my money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ducks you almost made my choke on my soda HAH! Great delivery on the shave my legs joke

    ReplyDelete
  3. What were they thinking???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was mystified by the way they presented the story. They're lamenting declining rounds and failing courses, yet they come up with something like this? The article contained useful information that was probably overlooked due to the unappealing graphics. I'm a guy with a guy sense of humor, I've even be called neanderthal a time or two, but this was just plain bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what I find disturbing is that this is the magazine that promised to take up the charge where Golf For Women Magazine left off. They promised more content for women golfer's and if this is their idea of fulfilling that promise then I believe there is much more to be written on this subject. Now, about that rouge color from the advertisement...

    Another interesting subject from our dear Golf Girl, keep up the great work Patricia and we'll keep reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. waaa-waaa-waaaaa Women will never be happy until men all behave like women...oh wait...then you'll complain that there aren't any "real men" around. Women make fun of men just as much as men make fun of women.

    Face facts - women are shorter hitters than men. Wow - earth shattering. And men rag each other about things like this by calling each other feminine names. Oooo - how will the world ever survive ?

    Who makes up most of GD's readership ? Think about it...come on...you can say it... MEN ! Big whoop. Pick a women's magazine - you'll find "neanderthal" jokes. You'll find articles about how insensitive we are. Then figure out when the last time you heard a man complaining about that crap. I'm guessing the answer is "never".

    God I hate political correctness and whining over things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. .

    actually distance is achieved by clubhead swing speed which is generated by flexing muscles

    do this - play a round with nothing more than a seven iron

    let me know what happens - okay ?

    frankD
    ftlauderdale so FLA

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Brian said about Golf Digest's commitment to women's content is true. I know because I was a faithful reader of Golf for Women and when it was suddenly shut down I was hopeful/sceptical about their commitment to providing quality content for women. Up till now I'd probably have given them a B, because much of what GD publishes I like. ( As Patricia mentioned the travel writing ) This however, lowers their grade to a D... for the 60's era humor and the unaesthetic graphics.

    Frank, I like your idea of the 7 iron (fave club) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read the article yet. The photo's just plain funny. I don't care who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have found that I'm actually hitting the ball longer now that I've grown man-boobs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. .

    real golfers come in all shapes and sizes and ABILITIES

    you know, in europe, particularly great britian, (england, ireland,scotland and wales), those people are hardy enough and this article wouldn't be worth their time

    my seven iron question applies because if you can do that, play with the maximum club being a seven iron, you will be exposed to the limitations of distance and have to rely on accuracy and placement - the ANTI grip it and rip it theory

    i can play bogey golf even on long par 4 450 yard holes hitting no more than a 150 yard seven iron

    for those mathematically challenged 3 times 150 yarsd is 450 yards - so i'm around the green somewhere in three

    add another 100 yards on the par 5's and it's even easier to bogey


    try it on a few holes, you'll see


    frankD
    ftlauderdale so FLA

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...