Thursday

Golf's Most Inspiring: The Manuel De Los Santos Story

.
When I first heard of Manuel de Los Santos, it occurred to me that his inspiring story would make an excellent movie.  The narrative - of a young man whose life was altered by a horrific accident - was was so moving, and the message, so uplifting, it seemed... made for Hollywood. 

I wrote about the young Dominican back then as he played at St Andrews in the Dunhill Links Championship ... and wowed the entire field.

Film maker Peter Montgomery... like so many others... was amazed by the transformational tale of Manuel de los Santos.  So much so that he contacted Manuel in the spring and they made the a movie.  It's a short film... only a few minutes long... but visually stunning and extremely powerful.

It's a perfect tribute to one man's ability to transcend adversity through golf.



For those days (we all have them) when you need additional inspiration, Manuel has a YouTube channel and a Facebook page.

8 comments:

  1. I remember when I did a post back in 2009 about Manuel De Los Santos.
    http://www.ottawagolfblog.com/2009/10/manuel-de-los-santos-one-legged-amateur.html

    Inspirational no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You know me well and I'm rarely speechless. I'm pretty much speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is Really inspiring thanks for sharing that story. I think for the full length movie they should get Don Cheadle. If you like golf video games, you can play golf online for free in HD at FREE GOLF GAME ONLINE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manuel De Los Santos would inspire event the most cynical golf hater to look more closely at the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just what I was thinking GS, Those whose job it is to promote golf are always looking for a "star"... someone who'll inspire interest in golf, not only it terms of sponsorship dollars, but also in terms of bringing more participants to the recreational game... new and different participants. I have no doubt that Manuel De Los Santos could bring more new players to the game than just about anyone playing professionally today, if he were to be seen and known. It seems to me it would be wise for golf associations whose mission it is to grow the game, to have him at tournaments and in the media as much as possible. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still smiling 24 hours after watching the film. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true what the other readers are saying Emanuel reflects the resilience of the human spirit like few others I've ever seen. Golf is so lucky to have him playing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow i have never seen that video before, what a legend! every credit to him!

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...