Monday

Ryo Ishikawa - Grace, Game & A Growing US Fanbase

Ryo Ishikawa - Bridgestone Invitational / Photo: AP
I was on my way out of Akron when I received the photo at left in a message from my Japanese friend, Noriko.  With it she wrote:

"Ryo has played greatly ! Hope he plays well at the final round. I believe you like his cute smile below ..."

Heading north on OH-8 N towards Twinsburg, the midwestern landscape simmered in the steamy late afternoon sunlight.  I wasn't in Ohio for the tournament... I was actually attending  a somewhat peculiar  a uniquely interesting international convention for twins...  but that's a whole nother story.   

When I found out I'd be able to fit in several hours at the Bridgestone Invitational on Saturday I jumped at the chance, and that turned out to be the day Ryo Ishikawa fired off the bogey-free six-under par 64 that put him into solo second place behind Adam Scott who eventually lifted the trophy... and Scott was stellar... that's for sure.  Rickie Fowler was superlative as well, finishing in a tie for second with world number one Luke Donald.  Another impressive Aussie, Jason Day, shared the T-4 spot with Ryo.  But it was the "Bashful Prince" who stole the spotlight... and grew his US fan base substantially... on Saturday.

If you read this blog you know I'm a huge Ishikawa fan. I first wrote about Ryo over four years ago as he prepared to compete in Junior World at Torrey Pines.  Since then the Japanese teenager has appeared in the pages of Golf Girl's Diary over fifty times... to the extent that some have suggested I rename the blog "Ryo Ishikawa's US Fan Club".   I haven't done that, but as PGA Championship week gets underway here are a couple of my Ryo posts from years past.

Welcome Back to America Ryo Ishikawa

Ryo Style - Ishikawa Awesomeness at the HSBC Champions

Adoring Female Fans Covet Ryo Ishikawa's Balls

Everyone Loves Ryo - ハニカミ王子 - Golf's "It Boy"

Remarkable Ryo Ishikawa - Best Dressed Golfer of 2009

7 comments:

  1. What a great finish yesterday. So when are you starting the Ishikawa fan blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Ryo with short hair! Even though it makes him look younger, which at nineteen probably wasn't the look he was going for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll be up in the 90s in Atlanta later this week so he probably won't regret it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Ryo plays at Presidents Cup. In November, Ryo's hair will be a bit longer (& he will be 20 year old & be able to drink bear at the team dinner!)

    http://livereport.pga.com/2011/08/08/norman-meeting-should-go-well/

    ReplyDelete
  5. He does have a cute smile doesn't he? :)

    http://golfcourseartwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite looking younger with his short hair, I think Mr. Ishikawa is growing up in his fashion sense. Though he's still more colorful than most I notice he's not wearing the really bright colors as much any more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading how you managed to end up at the tournament even though you were actually going to the twins event, it started to sound like a rough draft script for a 21st century "road movie." In this case, golf lovers Hope and Crosby would be played by you and your sister. I don't want two CT men to get upset so I won't say Ryo is the new Dorothy Lamour. :)

    ReplyDelete

Lets us know what you think...